Thursday 13 April 2017

4-Shaft Waffle on the RH - a New Tutorial in Progress

I have been working on the tutorial/pattern for 4-shaft waffle on the rigid heddle since March Break. The cloth is woven, lots of pictures taken, and most of the text is written in first draft form.  I just have to finish the hemming process, including taking the step by step pictures, write that section, write the summary "pattern in one page" and theory sections and then I can hand it off to my proof readers, testers and formatters. 

The one on the left is one of the photos in the warping section.  The one on the right is what my space more usually looks like; with my coffee cup, and papers and at least one cat.  Hobbes was the designated "Helpy Helper" for this shift.


 I work in my dining room.  I did tidy up a lot, and camera angles hide a multitude of sins, but chairs are part of dining room life, so I left them.

Seriously, my dining room rarely actually looks like that, even when I'm working on a new project.






A few days later I was trying to get this shot to show how I measure progress.


This time, Seven was on Helpy Helper duty.  She decided Mum needed a "petting break".  When Mum did not immediately comply, this was the result.
Cats are a major cause of poor sheds.

I got the cloth finished and off the loom and then needed to photograph it.  The cats decided it was time for another photo bombing.  I can't do much about the lump on the cloth in the first one, but I think I can crop out the tail in the second one... 









He's slowly learning some subtlety.  Mabye I'll leave it in, but I will crop out my foot, which I just noticed.  Rats.  This is why I usually write as I go, to make sure I have the right pictures that work with the text.  It's hard to go back and replace them.













I had a bit of warp left to play with at a the end which I used to play with another structure that I will do another tutorial on.  The list grows, it never shrinks.  That's probably a good thing.  Hopefully, the new tutorial will be ready to go into the Etsy shop in 4-6 weeks.  That may be a bit optimistic, but we shall see.  I also need to work on a workshop I'm giving at the Ontario Handspinning Seminar in mid June on spinning flax.  It ties in nicely with an article I'm contracted to write for PLY magazine's "Flax" issue, which is handy.  It's going to be a busy Spring and Summer.  Just the way I like it, I think.







No comments:

Post a Comment